Thursday, February 14, 2008

Mimi Sheraton's Eating my Words

Reading Mimi Sheraton memoir about her years as a travel/food writer and critic for the Times.

Why is that writers use their memoirs as opportunities for settling old scores with their nemesis?

Ruth Reichl did that in one of her memoirs, probably Garlic and Sapphires. Its been a while since I read that one, but I do recall her taking a swipe at the critic who preceded her. Apparently he vanished into oblivion after he stepped down as the Times' critic, which to Reichl was sweet revenge, as he hadn't been nice to her.

Childish? Yes. And Mimi does the same. Well, I suppose a memoir is the only way you could record such sentiments so they last well beyond posterity, but must you?

I think not. As a reader, my attention to the center piece of the book-in Mimi's case, her foodie experiences-gets distracted by these little potshots.

I find myself skimming chapters as I reach the end of the book. Her writing style is not very engaging.

The bit about the restaurants and their decor and menu design gets a tad pedantic.

More updates soon.

No comments: